United States Judo Federation
Module 1: Overview
Module 1 provides a general introduction to the contest rules including; judo contest basics, bowing procedures, gripping, throw scoring, mat work scoring, common referee hand signals and calls, penalty overview and how to read the scoreboard. It is a great base knowledge module for all interested in knowing more about Judo contest rules, including parents and boosters who are new to Judo. The module incorporates three sections: Procedures, Scoring and Penalties.
At the conclusion of Module 1;
- You will be able to assemble elements of a judo contest, contest bowing, kumi kata (gripping), judo -gi, referee hand signals and calls and scoreboard basics.
- You will be able to differentiate Tachiwaza Scoring – Ippon and Wazari, Ne-waza Scoring – Osaekomi, Shime-waza and Kansetsu-waza.
- You will examine and distinguish the difference between Shido (Slight Penalty) and Hansoku Make (Grave Penalty).
Module 1: Procedures
- Introduction to a Judo Contest
- Contest Bowing Procedures
- Kumi Kata (Gripping)
- Judo Gi
- Referee Hand Signals and Calls
- Scoreboard Basics
Module 1: Scoring
- Tachiwaza Scoring
- Ne-waza Scoring
Module 1: Penalties
- Shido (Slight Penalty)
- Hansoku Make (Grave Penalty) Overview